Spread the Word

Mt. Ararat Sermon!

Sharing is Caring!

Once upon a time, I was the prodigal son. I blew money on silly stuff.

That was then, this is now!

Now, I am back to where I started in this wonderful circle of life.

Yesterday, the shackles came off, since I'm finally debt-free. My parents and I worked tirelessly to make sure that I would not be a slave to the banks.

It all started when I went to Mt. Ararat Baptist Church on Saturday, January 29th, 2011. I was living under terrible credit card debt. However, for months I kept the issue a secret because I was embarrassed and depressed.

My mother re-assured me that I should never be afraid to tell her anything. Our hearts really connected.

My mother's kindness as well as her nagging about going to church reminded me that I should leave the house and go to my house of worship----Mt. Ararat Baptist Church----in East Liberty. Saturday night I went to church.



When I got to the sanctuary, I had to wait a little while because the members were in prayer. After the prayer ended, I walked to the front, near the altar. I hardly ever sat in the front, but I decided to for some strange reason.

The first song that came on the projector was a familiar tune, "I Surrender All." After all that I had gone through, I decided to pour my heart out and sing this song. The spirit rushed through every nerve in my body.



At the end of the praise and worship segment, Dr. Curtis read the scripture---Matthew 25:14-30:

14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.

15 To one he gave five bags of gold, to another two bags, and to another one bag, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.

16 The man who had received five bags of gold went at once and put his money to work and gained five bags more.

17 So also, the one with two bags of gold gained two more.

18 But the man who had received one bag went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

19 “After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.

20 The man who had received five bags of gold brought the other five. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with five bags of gold. See, I have gained five more.’

21 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

22 “The man with two bags of gold also came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘you entrusted me with two bags of gold; see, I have gained two more.’

23 “His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed.


25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’


26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?

27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

28 “‘So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags.

29 For whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.

30 And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’


"We need to stop being fearful of money," Pastor Curtis insisted. I know most people think that the scripture applies to their lives, but this time, it was the most connected I had felt to one of Pastor Curtis's sermons.

My eyes stayed glued on him and I sat amazed at how God used this man to speak to me and everyone else that was fortunate enough to get to the sanctuary.

I left the church excited and anxious to start using my resources wisely.

I checked my account and noticed that the money my parents promised was there and immediately paid off my debt.

Now, I'm living on cash and much happier. I will never use plastic again.

God is so good and he never stopped being good to me, even though I fell down multiple times, he was always there.

When I was wayward, he was still center. And now, I'm back to center.





Please Re-Tweet!

Bookings

Search This Blog

Blog Archive